Friday, February 12, 2010

Kanichiwa!

We have arrived in Japan! I am on my fourth day in Japan, but I will begin my posts with the first day. From the minute we could see the harbor in Japan, I knew I was in for an amazing time. We sailed into port and we were greeted by traditional Japanese drum music. They had incredible choreographed motions, and the sounds were amazing!



We were finally able to begin our adventures in Japan around 12:00pm, after waiting a few hours on the boat to get through immigration. We immediately set off for the train station to redeem our vouchers for our rail passes. After experiencing a few difficulties crossing the language barrier and accidentally walking through a wrong exit and getting hit in the knees with closing doors, we were on the right track (literally) to head to Tokyo! The rail system in Japan is extremely efficient and very easy to use. The bathrooms, I must say, are not. Upon arrival in Tokyo I immediately headed to the bathroom and waiting for me was a toilet imbedded in the ground. After much contemplation and maneuvering I walked out of the bathroom accident free!



Our first stop was Akhibara, also known as The Electric City. Electronics vendors were piled on top of each other, selling every form of electronic goods you could ever need. Enormous pictures of Anime were on every building, as well as Japanese women lining the streets dressed in costume (Jason was pleased about that).





We luckily were able to resist the urge to buy blackberries and dvd players, and we were off to the trains once more to head to Shibuya. Shibuya is known as the fashion district in Tokyo. Gucci, Louis Vuiton, Dolce and Gobbana, and every other major designer were featured on every street corner. Fashion is a staple in Japan. Young women walk the streets dressed to the nines. All of them are decked out in high heels, tons of accessories, and elaborate layers. I felt completely out of place with my jeans and pearls.



After sampling the saki at a local restaurant, we were back on the rails and off to the Ginza district. The Ginza district includes the financial district of Japan, as well as high class restaurants and shopping. We stumbled upon a hidden Japanese restaurant and were greeted with much enthusiasm. They paired us with a waitress that could speak a little English, and we enjoyed a plethora of delicious fresh fish and tempora, while watching the Japanese sushi chefs perform their magic.

I couldn't tell you what half of this was (we just point to a picture and cross our fingers) but it was all delicious.


After dinner we walked the streets in awe. I have never been to more of an immaculately orderly and clean place in my entire life. Everyone actually waits for the light to turn green to cross the street and there is no pushing and bustling about. There is absolutely no debris to be found on any street. Cars whiz by you, but you hear no horns beeping, no sirens blaring, and I have yet to see a police car. Although Japan is very Americanized, they fortunately have not adopted the rude ways of Americans themselves. Every Japanese person I have met is extremely friendly and very willing to help with whatever question we have to ask. Astonishingly, I dropped my purse in the train station and turned around to see a Japanese man running up to me frantically with my purse outstretched in his hand. I think he was a little surprised at the huge hug I gave him following.

Here a night shot of the Ginza district:



We headed back to Yokohama around 9pm so we could be up early for our scheduled tour the next day. We stopped in at a local bar near the port and we experienced a night we will never forget. The bar was pretty deserted except for three Japanese people, a bartender, an older fifty something man, and a younger twenty something man. We were beckoned in by the older man with a big smile on his face. A few steps closer and we noticed three quarters of a bottle of saki finished in front of him. We sat down and immediately the man poured us saki and we were off to the races. They spoke barely any English and of course we speak no Japanese. For the next three hours we communicated via an iphone translator and drawings on napkins and became the best of friends. The older man (who was sufficiently drunk) serenaded us with his guitar, gave us a karate lesson, and danced with me all throughout the restaurant. Eventually, the bartender brought out a piano book and told us to pick a song. I picked Yesterday by The Beatles and he sat down and started singing the words perfectly as I sang like a dying cat beside him. We departed our new friends with hugs and exchanges of emails. Its amazing how with no common language, we can still create such bonds with people across the globe. The Beatles really do bring people together.







No comments:

Post a Comment