Monday, January 11, 2010

A daunting task

I have been through some pretty traumatic experiences in my life.

As a young child, I moved through 4 different states, leaving close friends and comforting surroundings to start anew in totally foreign places. However, I remained resilient and in each new place made new best friends and created a home.

In my middle school years I had to deal with the nickname of "blue-ridge gap" due to the dental device from hell-- a palate expander. Even in the face of such adversity, I held my head high and patiently waited for the 3-quarter size gap to close so the jeers would cease.

Perhaps you would think my most traumatizing experience would be in my junior year of high school. On the night of prom, I was in a life-threatening car accident where I was suspended upside down for 38 minutes waiting for EMTs to cut me out with the jaws of life. Even then, my resilience held strong and I was back in the seat of my truck two days later.

I'm afraid my friends, in my third year of college at 20 years of age, I have met my match and face my most distressing experience yet. You may ask what could possibly top being trapped in an SUV turned upside down for nearly an hour?

I will tell you.

Packing for three and half months in two suitcases that each need to weigh less than 50 pounds.

Pray for me.

t-5 days

1 comment:

  1. Girl - too funny. I'm so interested in following you along your voyage. Don't know how you managed to pack under 50 pounds, especially for 3 1/2 months. I understand your disstress. Last year, leaving Spain, we got charged $150 for being barely over 50 pounds. The lady in front of us had 3 pieces of luggage over 50 pounds - $450. I will be praying for you and wish you a safe and fun trip. Enjoy! Dody Tribble

    ReplyDelete